The North West Fund has supported more than 285 North West businesses with over £97 million, creating and safeguarding more than 2,000 jobs in the region..
The North West Fund is a £155m evergreen investment fund established to provide debt and equity funding to small and medium sized enterprises in the North West of England. The Fund will address an identified gap in the lending, venture capital and private equity markets.
Having invested over £18 million in the first six months of 2014 we are confident that we will reach our £100 million milestone before the end of the summer.
We have supported more than 285 North West businesses with over £97 million, creating and safeguarding more than 2,000 jobs in the region. Our investment has been matched by a further £50 million in private sector finance.
The entrepreneurial talent in the North West continues to impress us and our pipeline of investments remains strong. In the last quarter our fund managers have supported some excellent businesses with finance, highlights of which include;
- A £150,000 investment from The North West Fund for Venture Capital into Liverpool-based GeoGrafi which specialises in geospatial and mapping technologies.
- The North West Fund for Mezzanine's £1 million investment into Winning Pitch, the rapidly growing national coaching and business support specialist, headquartered in the North West.
- A £750,000 loan from The North West Fund for Loans Plus into Cheadle-based leading hair extensions supplier, Beauty Works.
- Manchester-based Formisimo, which measures and analyses consumer behaviour in online checkouts and online forms, secured an investment of £350,000 from The North West Fund for Digital & Creative.
- Merseyside-based ULEMCo, which retrofits diesel transit vans to enable them to run on commercially available hydrogen, secured £150,000 from The North West Fund for Energy & Environmental.
- A £150,000 investment from The North West Fund for Biomedical into Gelexir Healthcare, a spin-out from the University of Manchester. They have developed a novel and proprietary injectable biomaterial technology for the treatment of chronic lower back pain caused by degenerative disc disease (DDD).
Working with North West Universities
In the current, globally competitive, economic environment it is important that businesses, investors and universities collaborate to drive economic growth.
The North West is home to 14 Higher Education Institutions, all of which help to support businesses in different ways. Whether they are helping to generate the talented workforce of the future, driving innovation in product and service development or providing cutting-edge facilities and equipment for world-class research, it's clear that the region's universities play a significant role in economic development, both within the North West and nationally.
Enterprise zones and other incubators are also important in making the link between businesses, universities and investors. Sci-Tech Daresbury for example, is able to engage universities from across the region, not only encouraging collaboration between business and universities but also between the universities themselves.
At The North West Fund we encourage joint working with academic partners and many of our fund managers have already made successful investments into businesses which have spun out from universities or are working with the regions universities as part of on-going projects and research programmes.
In supporting these businesses with the finance they need, we are helping to drive economic growth in the region and inspire the entrepreneurs of the future.
If you are interested in finding out more about equity/loan funding to help grow your business please visit: http://www.thenorthwestfund.co.uk/funds
T: 01925 418 232